Star Trek Tricorder Bag

6:14 PM Emily Reginalds 0 Comments

Con week is upon us! It's con fortnight for me, actually. I have Oz Comic Con in Melbourne this weekend and Supanova in Sydney next weekend. My first time going interstate for a convention!
This weekend I'll be wearing my updated Rey costume on Saturday and a new Star Trek uniform on Sunday. The latter is kind of a last minute decision, so I'm doing the bulk of my work on it this week. Yay.I've bought my communicator and phaser, I have the supplies for my uniform, I found some gorgeous black boots at an op shop, and last night I finished my tricorder! In the Star Trek universe, a tricorder is a type of scanner. It's usually a medical scanner - used below by my beloved Doctor McCoy.The character I'm going as is Doctor Helen Noel, who would have used a psychological tricorder, but I couldn't find a screen for that so I just used the usual scientific screen. My uniform won't have any pockets for my phone or holsters for my phaser and communicator, so I decided to make the tricorder a bag. You can buy a bag version of the tricorder (I even found one for sale at Minotaur in the city), but they're all around $70 which is far too much considering this is a last minute costume.
I can't wait to wear this costume. Helen, like many women in the original series of Star Trek, was only in one episode - but she left an impression on me. Her wit, compassion, strength of character, and that scene where she basically becomes James Bond and crawls through air ducts to sabotage the bad guy's plans made me fall head over heels in love with her.

0 comments: